Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

Dear Todd,
Thanks for replying. I think I partially solved this problem - because
of your hint.

Firstly I should admit that I am a plain windows user - though I work
on Linux at the University. (University cannot afford Windows - so I
have no option.) I am not familiar much with linux - though I have
used port forwarding to connect to the campus SMTP server - and also
used VNC over ssh sometimes.

I tried your -vv option with ssh - and it reveals a lot of
information. (If you want I can post it here.) From a visual inspection
- it does not reveal that it has forwarded the ports neither does it
tell me that it has failed to do it i.e. it does not mention it.)

I think you may have hit the cause of the problem here - but I am
still not sure. I tried netstat -an| grep LISTEN - and this reveals a
lot of forwarded ports - but not any of the ports I try. So it could be
that my ports are not being forwarded - I would talk to my net admin
tomorrow if I have a chance. I then tried to ssh and forward ports to
the next machine in my lab - but these ports also do not show up - so I
am not sure if the ports really need to show up if they are forwarded
or this could be some sort of a security setting. (I do however ssh to
these machines and forward ports to my campus smtp server - so at least
to that extent I know that port forwarding works here.)

Taking a cue from my smtp port forwarding - I sshed into my home
computer, and then I resshed back into my lab machine - this time
forwarding the ports i.e.

ssh -R 3389:localhost:3389 user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I then
rdesktop localhost -- and everything works. I don't know why it does
not work the first time around.

Thanks for your help - especially your hint about using the netstat to
spy on forwarded ports.

Regards,
O.O.

  • Re: No Services....
    ... The ports you have open are for ssh, ... users you have setup have reasonably secure passwords (eg. ... > Although I have had Linux installed for about 8 months (first Mandrake ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: SSH, X11 forwarding and TCPIP V5.4
    ... > on the window connection ssh tunnels ... > local ports accept connections from other hosts: ... exactly the same SSH server config as you posted, ... forwarding refused" when I connect to my SSH server. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Forwarding by source IP: Linksys BEFSX41?
    ... I asked here about routers that support forwarding based on the ... but I could set up packet filters for four specific ... > ports, then forward each to the appropriate PC. ... it appears Filters also preempt "Block WAN Requests." ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Linux and Viruses
    ... > Linux or is Linux immune to viruses and spware??? ... People will scan for open ports and SSH ... If you where to get a virus, your local user files might be affected, not ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Can allowing ftp compromise security?
    ... >> Ever since somebody broke into my Linux last year I am leery of leaving ... >> really make my RedHat Linux box vulnerable. ... I have all my ports closed except for SSH. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)