Windows Remote Desktop over ssh

Hi,
I am wondering if someone has experience with Windows Desktop RDP over
ssh.

I have a windows XP computer at home. Unfortunately this is behind a
router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside
world. (I am running a cygwin sshd server on it.) I have a Linux PC
outside where I work - and I sometimes need to connect to my home PC.
I am wondering if I can ssh from my linux PC to my home PC and port
forward - then use rdesktop to connect.

What have I tried?
I have read two articles about it at
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/RemoteDesktopSSH.html
and
http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/SSHTunnelRDP.htm

When locally logged on to my home computer I have started the cygwin
bash shell and tried

ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 localhost

Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390
i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this worked.

(Note: I have Win XP SP2 so I needed to install the patch at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;884020
)

I now logged on to my linux machine i.e. on the other side of the
router and tried

ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 Usrname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I then started
rdesktop 127.0.0.2:3390
to get ERROR: connect: Connection refused (or rdesktop
localhost:3390 with same failure)

I also tried
ssh -L 3390:localhost:3389 Usrname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and I still get the same failure.

Lastly, I would like to note that windows remote desktop is enabled in
my windows firewall.

I hope someone has some ideas.
Regards,
O.O.

  • problems connecting from Windows
    ... and there is a Linksys router forwarding port 22 to ... I have a laptop which can boot into either Windows XP ... XP, it can't connect with ssh (I tried Cygwin, Putty, ... the local LAN, I can SSH in properly, and telnetting ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: problems connecting from Windows
    ... Have you checked to ensure that the windows version is using the proper ... only over version of ssh. ... > and there is a Linksys router forwarding port 22 to ... > the local LAN, I can SSH in properly, and telnetting ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... I agree - ssh with no password and then use certificates to ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?
    ... what if I my router doesent have a public IP ... use for ssh is forwarded to your ssh server. ... You can find Hamachi at ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Windows Remote Desktop over ssh
    ... >> router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside ... >> Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390 ... >> i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this worked. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)