Re: sshd not logging Invalid user

Robert wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:52:21 -0500, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>
>> On Fedora core, with
>>
>> kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
>> and
>> openssh-4.2p1-fc4.1
>>
>> sshd was logging Invalid user in /var/log/secure
>> up to a few days ago, but now it is not. The sshd
>> log level is set to VERBOSE. It could be something
>> I did, but what?
>
> Well seeing how we have no idea what you might have done we can't say one
> way or the other.
>
> What have you changed lately?

I added a few things to /etc/logrotate.d/syslog.
I have a complex libipq daemon under development.
I have swatch watching /var/log/secure, but this is not new.

None of this should have the observed effect without also preventing
"Connection from" from appearing in the secure file. "Connection from"
continues to appear. Your comment inspired me to review the code to
assure that this last statement is correct. In particular,
port 22 is either blocked, or it is not. There is nothing in the code
that should effect system logging.

Mike.

.