Re: My ISP closed some ports need help!

Richard E. Silverman sez:
.... It's very easy for
> uninvited software to get on a Windows box. Certainly it's nice to be
> alerted to unusual outbound traffic -- but that's often not going to be
> useful, as the malware will often use protocols the user will also employ
> constantly, such as HTTP.

Yes, but they tend to work on "executable -> connection" association
rather than plain protocol/port. The alert you get is "program foo
is trying to access the Internet" and you can stop and think "hey,
what's that foo, I don't remember installing it".

Obviously, malware can alter its argv[0] etc., but this does
catch some things.

Dima
--
The most horrifying thing about Unix is that, no matter how many times you hit
yourself over the head with it, you never quite manage to lose consciousness.