Re: My ISP closed some ports need help!

Chuck> nsellers@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
Chuck> Are you running windows? If so, make sure none of your own PC's
Chuck> firewall settings changed.
>> PC firewalls don't usually block outbound connections.

TH> Windows ones surely do, if they're outside the default profile of
TH> allowed outbound traffic from programs/ports unknown to it (or
TH> unapproved by the computer user).

This statement is true by definition, hence trivial. My point is I don't
think that's a common default configuration.

TH> It's arguably the only reason to consider a pc software firewall.

Huh? Blocking inbound traffic is at least as useful. It's very easy for
uninvited software to get on a Windows box. Certainly it's nice to be
alerted to unusual outbound traffic -- but that's often not going to be
useful, as the malware will often use protocols the user will also employ
constantly, such as HTTP. But you certainly want to block incoming
connections to ports you don't intend to be open.

Richard Silverman

Relevant Pages

  • Re: My ISP closed some ports need help!
    ... > Chuck> Are you running windows? ... with the exception of windows firewall. ... Inbound blocking is tremendously useful I agree. ...
  • Re: firewall error!!
    ... Ahmad ... "Chuck" wrote: ... >>when i try to operate the firewall service the following message appears: ... >>"windows firewall settings can not be displayed because the associated ...
  • Re: XP Pro and Home File sharing issues
    ... >>Thanks Chuck, ... >>I disabled Windows Firewall as that is all I have and I am running Norton ... > productive thing you can do - disabling Norton products is better left untried. ...
  • RE: 0x80072EFD
    ... I'm on a network but the firewall is turned ... "Servantsfire" wrote: ... >> Windows XP. ...
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...