Re: FTP works but SSH does not

From: Tom Einertson (tome_at_siemens-emis.com)
Date: 11/17/05

    Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:37:15 -0600

    <pedagani@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1132252899.992696.189920@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > the error message is "the host 'ftp.XXXX.com' is unreachable. the host
    > may be down ... sometimes such problems can be caused by misconfigured
    > firewall"
    >
    > As I cud connect thru ftp, the host cant be down. I tried to disable
    > firewall in vain. The SSH help suggests the following
    > "Check that you have defined the correct port number for the
    > connection. The port can be changed on the Connection page of the
    > Settings dialog."
    > I dont know how to play with these port numbers. Is there any good
    > reference out there that explains about port numbers in this context?
    > Btw, I'm using port 22 here.
    > if i've to change port number wut are my options?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > KK

    That error message sounds like one Microsoft would issue - really
    verbose but not very precise. But since Windows doesn't supply an ssh
    client, it can't be that. What ssh client are you using?

    If by 'unreachable' that message means the errno ENETUNREACH or
    EHOSTUNREACH, then you have a routing problem. I doubt that message is
    that precise, though.

    If you have access to another ssh client, try that. You may get better
    diagnostics from a different client.

    Or if you have access to a UNIX machine, try connecting to the ssh port
    on that server using telnet (ie, 'telnet ftp.XXXX.com 22'). Every UNIX
    version of telnet I have ever used gave good error messages that you
    can tie back to a specific socket error number. You can tell a lot
    from those errnos. Don't use the Windows telnet. It has lousy error
    messages.

    PS - If you happen to get connected, with telnet just type the telnet
    escape character to disconnect.

    --
    Tom Einertson                              E-mail: tome@siemens-emis.com
    SIEMENS Power Transmission & Distribution  Phone:  (952) 607-2244

    • Re: I do not get ssh. Why is it more secure?
      ... I ask this because I will be needing to open SSH ... If you put your ssh server on port 12345, it will be free from attacks. ... ssh has a range of benefits over other remote solutions such as telnet or rsh. ... You can can store options for your ssh client for ports and other options, organised by server, which is very convenient if you need to connect to many servers. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Troublleshoot SSH
      ... > I have the SSHD daemon running, yet I can not telnet in on port 22 ... > using an SSH client. ... In PuTTY specify the host name, then change *Protocol* to SSH rather ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Nailed Telnet & ssh
      ... I used to think I couldn't do a nailed ssh port also, ... The aix box has nailed telnet ports defined in the inittab ... > standard telnet command *thru* the ssh connection. ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: WEIRD: telnet
      ... Telnet can use any ports providing the user redirects. ... ssh ought to be used to replace Telnet whenever possible. ... Telnet uses a protocol that is identical to many other protocols apart ... So if you want to test the SMTP port, or the POP3 port, or any ...
      (freebsd-questions)