Re: Port 22 SNAFU? Help!

From: MikesBrain (Mike_at_N.UK)
Date: 08/18/05

    Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:42:45 GMT

    2005-08-17, Responding to MikesBrain...
    > 2005-08-17, Responding to Darren Dunham...

    [...]
    >>> ssh from P1 to P2 connects without a problem even if port
    >>> 22 is dropped by the firewall, even with the #x# hashed-out
    >>> lines that should (in theory anyway) DROP a connect request
    >>> on port 22.
    >>
    >>> Therefore, logically, ssh is NOT using port 22, even though
    >>> it is specified in the config file.
    >>
    >> Can you just verify that?
    >>
    >> From P1, do 'telnet P2 22' and see if you get an SSH banner.
    >
    > I have whacked this about between the two machines for a
    > couple of days now, and the phrase "That shouldn't happen
    > should it?" is now a reflex action.
    [...]

    This post brings me pain and embarassment.

    The "reflex action" comment I made there got me thinking
    (some more), so I tested a hypothosis.

    The reason I've been getting such screwy results is because
    instead of restarting the firewall when I'd tried a tweak, I
    was still rattling off the restart for the sshd process
    (from previous repeated tweakings).

    Guess what results I was getting?

    I shall now turn all the pootas off and go and stand in the
    back garden for several days and try to keep still.

    Feel free to laugh. You can't make me feel any worse right
    now. 8(

    My thanks for your prodding.

    --
    ----
    * Another squeaking wheel @ http://tinyurl.com/6bf56

    • cpu timer issues
      ... Originally the systems started out by showing a lot of packet loss, the system time would fall behind, and the value of "#vmstat -i | grep timer" was dropping below 2000. ... I was lead to believe by the guys at pfSense that this is where the value should sit. ... The only thing that would right it is restarting the box but over time it would degrade again. ... we have two in a fail over scenario and it seems unfortunate that we have an issue with two brand new SuperMicro boxes that affect both machines. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation
      ... the process does not complete and instead I see stars ... the machines. ... restarting the Server. ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation
      ... the process does not complete and instead I see stars ... the machines. ... restarting the Server. ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: [kde-linux] Accident loses sound
      ... stopping session and restarting it ... switching to a lower runlevel (partial system shutdown) and switching back ... machines that would sometimes start up real slow, ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: conker
      ... hardware loadbalancing and failover between them, configured in such a way that quorum can be reached with 70% of the cluster inactive just by restarting the machines. ... And that time I managed to set up a distributed document management ...
      (uk.games.video.xbox)