Re: ssh may be crashing my Linksys router

From: Darren Dunham (
Date: 08/04/05

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:16:02 GMT wrote:
> Hi folks,

> This is going to sound paranoid, but I can't explain it
> in any other way. I will log in to my home server from afar
> using ssh, on a port other than the usual ssh port. I've
> set up port forwarding on my Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless
> router so that my server is accessible. However very often
> in the middle of an ssh session (using Putty), the router
> will crash. Usually it is when there is a sudden gush
> of data, i.e. a program on the server suddenly wants to
> print a lot. The server itself does not go down, nor
> does Putty crash. I've contacted my cable provider and
> they have tested the cable modem and they claim it's OK.

> Can anyone tell me if they've seen this sort of thing
> happen before or if they think it might be something else?

I can't begin to understand why putty would do something different that
could affect an intermediate router, but yes I and at least one other
person have seen something similar.

Most of the time I'm using cygwin/openssh at home now, so I haven't
noticed if this problem remains for me or not....

Darren Dunham
Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS

  • Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"
    ... host ... server rather than web server? ... If they have the right server software running (mail, web, ssh daemon) then that software picks up the request. ... When you want to send mail to xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, your mail server looks up the MX record for hartley-consultants and sends it to port 25 on the machine pointed to. ...
  • Re: ipfw and nmap
    ... > even be correct but I have a bsd box that is simply providing me SSH ... add allow tcp from any to me 22 setup in via fxp0 keep-state ... Note too that there is nothing to prevent port scanners simply setting ... the 'SYN' flag in the probe packets they send to your server. ...
  • Re: Remote Desktop directly to another computer on the network
    ... default port... ... And there is no reason for me to believe that ssh ... When I have a multibillion company I will use the key pair, ... WinSCP for that to access my home SSH server. ...
  • Re: need help for setting SSH Server for Windows XP
    ... In my windows firewall proper ports are opened. ... Changing from port 22 to ports 80, 443 also doesn't give any results. ... static LAN IP of the server PC. ... It is *NOT* a valid test to call the SSH server PC from another ...
  • Re: Port Forwarding -- Checking to be sure I understand it
    ... They run an ssh ... server and VNC service. ... If you want to run the tunnel over some port other than 22 (the ... restrictive firewalls that deny all incoming connections and block most ...