Re: ssh may be crashing my Linksys router

From: Darren Dunham (ddunham_at_redwood.taos.com)
Date: 08/04/05

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:16:02 GMT

scrunchy2k@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi folks,

> This is going to sound paranoid, but I can't explain it
> in any other way. I will log in to my home server from afar
> using ssh, on a port other than the usual ssh port. I've
> set up port forwarding on my Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless
> router so that my server is accessible. However very often
> in the middle of an ssh session (using Putty), the router
> will crash. Usually it is when there is a sudden gush
> of data, i.e. a program on the server suddenly wants to
> print a lot. The server itself does not go down, nor
> does Putty crash. I've contacted my cable provider and
> they have tested the cable modem and they claim it's OK.

> Can anyone tell me if they've seen this sort of thing
> happen before or if they think it might be something else?

I can't begin to understand why putty would do something different that
could affect an intermediate router, but yes I and at least one other
person have seen something similar.

Most of the time I'm using cygwin/openssh at home now, so I haven't
noticed if this problem remains for me or not....

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.security.ssh/browse_frm/thread/c37ef4b854199c30

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com