SSH question -- strange thing happening.

yarmfelder_at_yahoo.com
Date: 06/13/05

Date: 12 Jun 2005 20:35:30 -0700

Hi all.

Something odd happened recently.

I used ssh to log in to a server I've set up in my
house remotely for the first time, using Putty. I used
the outside world IP address, which my wireless
box forwards to this server. Putty explained
this was the first time I had ssh'd to the server. OK.

Then, I ssh'd directly to the very same machine
(the server) using the in house IP address i.e.
not going to the outside world but using the static IP
that the wireless router knows for the server.

Here is the strange thing that happened: Putty
told me I had never connected to the server before,
even though I had. Subsequent testing has showed
that nothing is wrong with Putty i.e. once I use
it to telnet to a site, it correctly stores the key
information for it.

Could it be that my ISP is intercepting SSH
connections in order to record whatever it wants?

Or how about someone else?
I had heard that there was some govt-imposed thing
called Carnivore that all ISPs had to install...
some "black box". Could that be what's going on,
that my ssh activity is tapped by such a box?

If so, how do I get around this invasion of my
privacy? How does anyone?

Also I should say, that at no point did I tell my
client machine what the key data was for the server.
I don't know how to reset or enter in that data.

Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Send xterm to remote workstation with OpenSSH
    ... Is this Putty on Windows? ... When you SSH in, it should automatically appropriately set your DISPLAY ... I've tried a variety of X-11 Server, ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: FC6 VPN
    ... Very often that will involve PuTTY. ... I have SSH up and running, anyone have any good links to securing my SSH ... attacker, but may help you work out that you've got a determined ... Distribute the server public keys via trusted networks -- don't trust ...
    (Fedora)
  • Putty Proxy Chaining
    ... I have a project requiring the set-up of an proxied ssh session using ... I have successfully achieved this where there is a single proxy ... What I'd appreciate is if I could be told how to configure PuTTY to use ... We want to provide SSH access to a remote server ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: putty, openssh and e-smith: key is wrong type....
    ... the chances are that your server has told you it ... You need to be root in order to change the master ... >> BTW how is the location of the public key (.ssh) determined. ... I followed jacobs advise to set set the PuTTY preference to SSH2 (although i ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Help with a simple terminal problem
    ... SSH as clients. ... I'm talking to a Windows 2000 server. ... , the PuTTY or commercial SSH ...
    (comp.security.ssh)