Re: ssh and subsequent telnet, encrypted?

From: all mail refused (elvis_at_notatla.org.uk)
Date: 04/28/05

Date: 27 Apr 2005 23:38:23 GMT

On 2005-04-27, Peter Petersen <ppetersen@despammed.com> wrote:

> When I connect from machine A (my home computer) via ssh to a shell
> account of mine (machine B) only to launch telnet to a newsserver from
> there, is that telnet session (since it is embedded in the ssh
> connection) encrypted?

  A-----------------------shell-ac--------------------news
           encrypted plain

> - a telnet which is only launched _inside_ an already running ssh
> connection is no less secure as the entire ssh session

Your telnet traffic is plaintext between the shell-ac and the news server
(since you have not connected to SSH on the news server how could it be
otherwise ?).

The traffic in both directions in the other leg of your journey is
encrypted so you needn't worry about sniffers if they are confined to
that portion. Admins of the news server will be able to monitor that
box all they like - although they might not bother with much.

--
Elvis Notargiacomo  master AT barefaced DOT cheek
http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

Relevant Pages

  • scripting a telnet session to VMS
    ... I am attempting to script a telnet session via vb.net to a VMS ... I am not having much luck with the telnet connection. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Eclipse Usenet oddness?
    ... I got no traffic on usenet but I do on the web, ... I can telnet to the news server on 119 and get a valid connection but ... telnet news.eclipse.net.uk 119 ... Connection closed. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • ARRAY 3310/3510 SUN PROBLEM WITH TELNET
    ... I have a problem to open a telnet session with Sun StorEdge 3000 ... It is not possible to connect to the array via telnet. ... the telnet connection have worked but now it does not ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • [UNIX] mmmail POP3-SMTP Daemon Format String Vulnerability
    ... There is a format string vulnerability in the 'mmsyslog' function of the ... string that can be defined by a remote user. ... test:~$ telnet test.lab.intexxia.com 110 ... Connection closed by foreign host. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Sharing Internet access with a XP box.
    ... > connects to the Internet via a dial-up ISDN connection. ... > run a telnet client on the XP machine and connect to it from the BSD ... supported on FreeBSD and you have to jump through a couple of hoops to ... or, more generically, a server. ...
    (freebsd-newbies)