ssh and subsequent telnet, encrypted?

From: Peter Petersen (ppetersen_at_despammed.com)
Date: 04/28/05

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:01:06 +0200

Hello,

I am sure, this is just a simple question for the experts, and it is
rather of some theoretical interest to me.

Or maybe there is more to it:
I could use the newsreader Gnus in order to reach and use an otherwise
inaccessible newsserver:
By using an ssh connection to some shell account and then launching
telnet to the foreign newsserver mentioned above Gnus enables me to read
the foreign newsserver (and also post articles) just like any other
newsserver, comfortably within the newsreader at home.

Well back to my question:
When I connect from machine A (my home computer) via ssh to a shell
account of mine (machine B) only to launch telnet to a newsserver from
there, is that telnet session (since it is embedded in the ssh
connection) encrypted?
In other words: Are the other shell account users (or even the admin)
unable to sniff the data flow between me and the newsserver (established
via the already mentioned telnet session)?

Therefore, am I right when I state this?
- a mere telnet from my home to some place in the world is insecure,
because there is no encryption
- a telnet which is only launched _inside_ an already running ssh
connection is no less secure as the entire ssh session

many thanks
Peter(sen)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ssh and subsequent telnet, encrypted?
    ... >> account of mine only to launch telnet to a newsserver from ... is that telnet session (since it is embedded in the ssh ... the traffic between my shell account and the newsserver is ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Newbie needs telnet help. Thanks.
    ... > simple.┬ ┬ I'd┬ like┬ to┬ telnet┬ to┬ a┬ linux┬ host┬ on┬ the┬ network┬ from┬ a┬ windows ... > machine and use the telnet session like a text terminal into the linux ... Telnet is very insecure, I would suggest using ssh. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: windows 2000 telnet server
    ... This is just a suggestion but you are better off using SSH. ... Also if you want to use explorer remotely, ... > I have the telnet service running on my win2k box. ... > When i quit the telnet session, explorer appears on the remote win2k ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • RE: Commentary on the seven words
    ... When I was an operating systems programmer we all too often forgot that the Operating system existed to support the application, not the other way around. ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... I administrate one system that has 128 clients on it and it's ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Commentary on the seven words
    ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't ... support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... General Red Hat Linux discussion list ... >operating system and utility advice and assistance and there are SEVEN ...
    (RedHat)