Re: keeping tunnel open

From: Andrew Schulman (andrex_at_deadspam.com)
Date: 04/14/05

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:22:10 GMT

> I got mine working... simple fix was to just chown the files in
> /etc/autossh/ to the SYSTEM user. After that, everything worked fine,
> starting it as a system service (with cygrunsrv).
>
> Now the problem is that I can't get ssh to setup a LocalForward on port
> 139, bound to the local IP 10.0.0.1 (using the instructions located at
> http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php). The problem is
> that OpenSSH under cygwin doesn't seem to be able to setup a listener
> on that port.
>
> Has anyone else had similar problems? Does OpenSSH not even try setting
> up a privileged port listener, even though it's running on windows?

I tried this for a while long ago, but never got it to work. I never
figured out why, but it just wouldn't work.

Eventually I figured out that it's not necessary, because you can use
Unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) instead to
synchronize your files between the two hosts. Unison will use ssh as a
transport, so you still get a secure file exchange. And it's _much_
more bandwidth-efficient, because it uses the rsync algorithm, so it
only transfers the portions of files that have changed. With SMB over
SSH, anytime you save a file, the entire file has to be moved over the
network, even if only one byte has changed. With Unison, you just work
and save locally, then synchronize when you're done.

Good luck,
Andrew.

--
To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
    ... port 22 on your internal machine, so you will need to keep ssh up to ... I configure the router to forward a different external port to 22 on my ... For good measure pick usernames that are none obvious, ... root/password: 163 times ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • [NEWS] SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service (Mocana)
    ... SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service ... Dell Remote Access Card 4 allows customers to effectively manage ... After the use of such a port scanner, ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Remote Desktop directly to another computer on the network
    ... default port... ... And there is no reason for me to believe that ssh ... When I have a multibillion company I will use the key pair, ... WinSCP for that to access my home SSH server. ...
  • Re: SSH safety
    ... SSH safety (J.L. ... FC3 missing KDE menu items ... I was wondering how safe it is to open the ssh port up to the internet. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FTPS Server?
    ... port numbers by deep packet inspection. ... client, but the underlying SSH protocol over the network is way, way ... See the chroot configuration in the man-page for sshd_config ... recommend running a separate instance on a separate port (if firewalls ...
    (freebsd-stable)