Public Key authentication not responding to public key?

From: Holdo (holdo51_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/29/05

    Date: 29 Mar 2005 07:39:52 -0800

    Hi,

    I'm having difficulties setting up public key authentication (PKA)
    between one particular client/server, whereas I have set up PKA between
    the same user/client and other hosts without problem. Ie, I have used
    the same user key to successfully setup these other connections.

    It seems as though the remote server doesn't respond when the public
    key is sent. The public key has been copied to authorized_keys, and I
    have checked permissions on the folder/files, but assume debug would
    complain if that was the problem. A portion of the output is as
    follows:

    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: start over, passed a different list
    external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
    debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
    debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
    debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey
    debug1: Offering public key: /home/fktest/.ssh/id_rsa
    debug3: send_pubkey_test
    debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Offering public key: /home/fktest/.ssh/id_dsa
    debug3: send_pubkey_test
    debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
    debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
    debug3: remaining preferred: password
    debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
    debug2: userauth_kbdint
    debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    external-keyx,gssapi,publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
    debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
    debug3: authmethod_lookup password
    debug3: remaining preferred:
    debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
    debug1: Next authentication method: password
    bla@bla.com's password:
    debug3: packet_send2: adding 48 (len 61 padlen 19 extra_pad 64)
    debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
    debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).

    This may be an easy fix for some (I hope!), but unfortunately I don't
    know what else to try.

    Thanks,
    TOny

    • RE: Ssh with public key authentication
      ... Ssh with public key authentication ... debug1: Host 'machine1' is known and matches the RSA host key. ... debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password ... debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey ...
      (RedHat)
    • multinet public key question
      ... but authentication fails. ... debug1: Connecting to ... ... debug3: key_read: missing keytype ... debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • public key authentication problem
      ... I'm trying to use public key authentication for ssh, ... debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password ... debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey ... debug1: Next authentication method: publickey ...
      (SSH)
    • public key authentication with openssh on openwrt
      ... was not able to configure public key authentication. ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug3: key_read: missing keytype ... debug3: key_read: missing whitespace ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Bad passphrase with public key authentication
      ... I'm setting up my server to use public key authentication. ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug3: Not a RSA1 key file server_rsa_macbook.pub. ... debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK ...
      (SSH)