Re: Protecting private keys...

From: Martin (mndr_at_snafu.de)
Date: 03/16/05

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:05:52 +0100

PT wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, but if setting up an ssh key you have to
> share your public key (id_dsa.pub). If you're giving your public key
> to someone that is trusted for file transfers, but you still don't want
> them to be able to read the private key, how do you get around this?
>
> I don't see how I can change the permissions because it's the user who
> owns the .ssh directory.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Thanks in advance, PT.

Private keys are 3DES crypted by default.

Relevant Pages

  • Protecting private keys...
    ... This may be a dumb question, but if setting up an ssh key you have to ... share your public key. ... owns the .ssh directory. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: PGP scripting...
    ... cryptosystems, ... In these systems divulging your private key compromises the public ... Here is a quick over view of the public key encryption routines (the ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: Private & Public Key storage location
    ... with that you complete the 'certificate' to have both public and private key ... To view the complete cert, you access the cert mmc, ... its end & send only the public key to the CA along with the other websites ... The CA never know the private key of the website. ...
  • CryptImportKey NTE_BAD_KEY error.
    ... of the private key is just fine but when I try to import the public key I ... // This Asymetric key set will be used to create the Autherization Code. ... delete psBuffer; ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Private & Public Key storage location
    ... client use the public key to ... corresponds to this certiticate' when you view the cert. ... it will has the private key as well. ... installed for your website, it will be sent to all the clients who connect ...