Re: What's the deal on the -X vs -Y thing?

From: Neil W Rickert (rickert+nn_at_cs.niu.edu)
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 04:01:31 +0000 (UTC)

dtucker@dodgy.net.au (Darren Tucker) writes:
>Neil W Rickert <rickert+nn@cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>>Host *
>> ForwardAgent no
>> ForwardX11 no
>> ForwardX11Trusted yes
>> StrictHostKeyChecking ask

>> -----

>>and all works fine.

>>I first tried that with only a specific host -- the one where I
>>most needed trusted X-forwarding. But that didn't work very well,
>>so I made it apply to all. In practice, I only do X forwarding to
>>trusted hosts anyway. My default is to forward neither X nor agent.

>I suspect that was because you had a Host * entry at the top of the
>config file.

I see I should have given more details.

With the entry for specific hosts, it worked in the sense that
that I got trusted X11 forwarding only to those hosts.

What I meant by "didn't work very well", is that I found untrusted
forwarding unsatisfactory. In particular, cut and paste between
sessions did not work satisfactorily.

Relevant Pages

  • RPC-Spam issue, was => RE:
    ... > identified 2 hosts on campus 1 is a Linux box ... > forwarding of RPC requests. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: 2 NICs, 2 LANs
    ... I can only have one defaultroute for both networks ... You need to have IP forwarding enabled to reach 121.120.177.x hosts ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Email forwarding?
    ... We own domain A and domain B. On domain B I have an Exchange server which ... hosts all our email. ... Mervin Williams ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Printing to remote IP problem
    ... JasperH wrote: ... > Printcap entry on A and B: ... The hosts.equiv file contains a list of trusted hosts. ...
    (comp.unix.tru64)
  • Re: Whats the deal on the -X vs -Y thing?
    ... I just added to ".ssh/config" ... most needed trusted X-forwarding. ... I only do X forwarding to ... trusted hosts anyway. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)