Re: What's the deal on the -X vs -Y thing?

From: Neil W Rickert (
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 04:01:31 +0000 (UTC) (Darren Tucker) writes:
>Neil W Rickert <> wrote:

>>Host *
>> ForwardAgent no
>> ForwardX11 no
>> ForwardX11Trusted yes
>> StrictHostKeyChecking ask

>> -----

>>and all works fine.

>>I first tried that with only a specific host -- the one where I
>>most needed trusted X-forwarding. But that didn't work very well,
>>so I made it apply to all. In practice, I only do X forwarding to
>>trusted hosts anyway. My default is to forward neither X nor agent.

>I suspect that was because you had a Host * entry at the top of the
>config file.

I see I should have given more details.

With the entry for specific hosts, it worked in the sense that
that I got trusted X11 forwarding only to those hosts.

What I meant by "didn't work very well", is that I found untrusted
forwarding unsatisfactory. In particular, cut and paste between
sessions did not work satisfactorily.