Re: SSH Connecting through Firewall

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_dodgy.net.au)
Date: 01/12/05

Date: 12 Jan 2005 13:39:03 GMT

In article <cs32fe$ecf$1@sagnix.uni-muenster.de>,
Andreas Jaeger <adolar@uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>Andrew Schulman wrote:
>
>> Any chance of convincing the firewall admins to allow outgoing SSH
>> sessions? After all, this is a pretty secure and common protocol.
>
>No way. Those guys are paranoid.

You might want to check if what you're doing is prohibitted by your
security policy.

>But I do not know how to tell the SSH
>client to use HTTPS or FTP proxy. There is no such option in the OpenSSH
>client, as far as I know.

OpenSSH doesn't speak those application protocols itself, it uses an
external program for that (via the "ProxyCommand" option). I use
this one for HTTPS (and SOCKS):
http://www.taiyo.co.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.html

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Connection closed, no reason given
    ... > I copied the entry from id_dsa.pub into the remote machine's ... Depending on exactly how it was corrupted, earlier versions of OpenSSH ... You can prevent you client from trying public-key authentication ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh type of service (tos)
    ... > I wonder how openssh finds out how a session is interactive or not. ... > use openssh for a number of purposes, including rsync and https. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: HOWTO: Speedup login process using OpenSSH 3.4 on AIX
    ... What client are you using? ... >ssh client: openssh 3.4p1 ... OpenSSH 3.8 has some client-side speedups. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Keberos GSS authentication not working
    ... > OpenSSH has been configured with the following options: ... Does your client do GSSAPI authentication? ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Aruba Advisory ID: AID-020810 TLS Protocol Session Renegotiation Security Vulnerability
    ... TLS Protocol Session Renegotiation Security Vulnerability ... HTTPS WebUI administration interface. ... If a client browser is ... Aruba Networks recommends that all customers apply the appropriate ...
    (Bugtraq)