Re: How to kill port forwarding ssh when client exits

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_dodgy.net.au)
Date: 01/09/05

Date: 09 Jan 2005 04:39:09 GMT

In article <4ZC*jj-Dq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Simon Tatham <anakin@pobox.com> wrote:
>Coincidentally, I had a need to do this today, and my solution is
>different again from either of the two so far posted. Here's mine.
[snip solution involving named pipes]

Neat!

The current version (post-3.9) of OpenSSH has another solution: you can
use the ControlMaster pipe to send commands to a backgrounded ssh.

This would be something like):

$ ssh -f -N -M ~/.ssh/server -L 25:your.mail.server:25 server
[do mail]
$ ssh -S ~/.ssh/server -O exit server

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)