Re: SSH Tunnels on the Fly

From: Jacob Nevins (jacobn_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: 15 Sep 2004 19:39:01 +0100 (BST)

Peter Stilling <stillingp@cableone.net> writes:
>Is there a way to just tell putty on the client side that if
>it hears any traffic on any port destined to 127.0.0.x to shove it
>through the tunnel AND create the tunnel on the fly?

No, but there's dynamic tunneling, where you configure your clients to
access a SOCKS proxy provided by PuTTY, which you might be able to use
to do what you want. (This is also available in OpenSSH.)

Search for "dynamic" at
<http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.55/htmldoc/Chapter3.html#S3.5>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH Tunnels on the Fly
    ... > Does anyone know how to configure Putty or any other SSH client, ... > connect to from my work with Putty. ... > through the tunnel AND create the tunnel on the fly? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • SSH Tunnels on the Fly
    ... Does anyone know how to configure Putty or any other SSH client, ... through the tunnel AND create the tunnel on the fly? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Best Solution for Transfering Files
    ... up the way I do with PuTTY. ... be used not only by the SSH client itself but other programs as well. ... client strikes your fancy to go over that tunnel. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • PuTTY suddenly stopped working (WinXPsp2 to FreeBSD5.4)
    ... assumption is that the problem is on the Client machine. ... On the Server ... ... Open a PuTTY session and I am prompted for a username. ... Event Log: Writing new session log to file: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: VPN versus Terminal Server for remote workers
    ... call a 'cell phone' we call a 'mobile', ... Windows VPN client, Windows Mobile VPN client, or a 3rd party VPN client. ... It is tunnel to the appliance or nothing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)