Re: native port of sshd for windows

From: Darren Dunham (
Date: 08/13/04

    Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:29:25 GMT

    buildmorelines <> wrote:
    > Does a native port of SSHD (the server, there are enough clients than
    > my fingers)for windows 2000 exist? I am trying to encrypt realvnc. I
    > dont want to use the cygwin one because its just to complicated to
    > work with since its running inside a emulated unix command prompt. I
    > would like a native port of SSHD, I can deal with a dos command line,
    > a GUI would be helpful. Any free or pay products like I described
    > exist?

    You can run the cygwin sshd from a DOS/command shell line rather than
    from within cygwin, you just have to have the cygwin DLL in the path
    when you do so.

    At home, I had it running on Windows ME by having a BAT file launch it
    in a startup folder.

    XP/2000 is even easier because you run one script and it sets it going
    as a service. Then you start/stop it from the normal services panel.

    Finally, I haven't tried it, but someone pointed me at this a few months
    ago. It's a "slimmed down" version of openssh. However, it's
    apparantly still got cygwin underneath.

    I don't know of any native windows servers.

    Darren Dunham
    Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS

    • RE: sshd for windows
      ... with that they include a 'sshd' daemon which is a Windows 2000 service. ... What Is Cygwin? ... Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. ... Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ...
    • Re: native port of sshd for windows
      ... >Does a native port of SSHD (the server, ... Cygwin is real win32 code, ... and almost all cygwin commands run fine from a windows cmd prompt or a cygwin ... Google finds a lot about "windows ssh server". ...
    • Re: Looking for a better shell for windows 2K
      ... > I want to avoid Cygwin and I don't know any other win32 port. ... There is a native port of zsh that I use when I'm forced onto windows. ... There is mingw/msys which are native ports of the cygwin stuff. ...
    • Re: How execute RCP and RSH from Unix Solaris to Windows XP ?
      ... | Do I need of rcp/rsh demons for Windows XP? ... Check cygwin. ... It has rshd and also sshd. ...
    • Re: What is the more popular UNIX flavor?
      ... about my experience with Solaris and Cygwin. ... installing packages. ... needing eg tftp you only need to activate on a Unix system. ... probably need installing first on the equivalent Windows system. ...