Re: FTP/SSH question

From: Darren Tucker (
Date: 04/27/04

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:17:22 +0000 (UTC)

In article <_Kijc.14007$>,
someone <> wrote:
>What does it mean to connect to a server through FTP over SSH2 and using
>port 21? Is that port forwarding?

Yes, but because FTP is a pathologically evil protocol (at least as far
as firewalling and proxying is concerned :-) the SSH software needs
application-specific knowledge (ie the ability to decode the PORT
and PASV commands and act on them) in order to successfully forward it.

Not all clients have the ability. OpenSSH doesn't. I think the
v2 clients do. Not sure about any others.

>By the way, that server does not accept sftp or scp, it accepts regular
>FTP clients on port 21 and FTP over SSH2 clients on port 21 as well. And
>the only client that I know work with it is SecureFx

Apparently this does too.

Darren Tucker (dtucker at
usually comes from bad judgement.