Re: Using putty with emacs

From: Owen Dunn (owend_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 04/19/04

    Date: 19 Apr 2004 14:18:40 +0100

    AMetts <ametts@bellsouth.net> writes:

    > I'm using putty on Windows to access remote Linux servers. I'm
    > noticing behavior that I only experience with putty:
    >
    > --*-- The left "Alt" key works fine as the Meta key in emacs. The
    > right Alt key seems to have no effect.

    That's because the right Alt key isn't actually Alt, it's AltGr.
    PuTTY is British, and we don't have these keyboards with two Alt keys.
    This might be fixed at some point in the future:

    <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/right-alt.html>

    > --*-- The <enter> key on the qwerty keyboard works fine when completing
    > emacs commands. The <enter> key on the numeric keypad has no effect.

    Both do the same thing for me on xemacs, but not on emacs. Since
    emacs understands the keys as RET and kp-enter, I think you need to
    fiddle with your emacs configuration to make the minibuffer understand
    kp-enter as well as RET.

    (S)

    • Activate Right ALT Key on PuTTY
      ... I'd like to know how to make the Right ALT key play the same function ... ALT-x: x ... My question is how to treak PuTTY to make it interpret ... Right ALT key as Meta key too. ...
      (comp.terminals)
    • vnc emacs and alt key?
      ... When I use emacs normally in my console ... it works with no problems with Alt key acting as Meta ... the same xev tests run on the local console report. ... ends - now I have fedora 11 on both ends). ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: the degree symbol
      ... The ALT key on US keyboards ... On a laptop use Fn+Alt+0176 on numeric keypad with NumLock off. ...
      (microsoft.public.excel)
    • Changes in xmodmap or something?
      ... I'm used to being able to press the keyboard alt key and then whatever ... in an Xterm ) I get: ... If I start emacs -nw in an xterm same kind of thing happens when I ... I'm guessing there is some sort of xmodmap settings that will put ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard
      ... use this now that I'm not afraid of flexing the IR arm a bit, but no Alt key ... can do things like delete emails, etc. without the stylus. ... Do the keyboards with the ALT keys ... > TN> allow you to access the program menus, ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc)