Re: Using putty with emacs

From: Owen Dunn (owend_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 04/19/04

    Date: 19 Apr 2004 14:18:40 +0100

    AMetts <ametts@bellsouth.net> writes:

    > I'm using putty on Windows to access remote Linux servers. I'm
    > noticing behavior that I only experience with putty:
    >
    > --*-- The left "Alt" key works fine as the Meta key in emacs. The
    > right Alt key seems to have no effect.

    That's because the right Alt key isn't actually Alt, it's AltGr.
    PuTTY is British, and we don't have these keyboards with two Alt keys.
    This might be fixed at some point in the future:

    <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/right-alt.html>

    > --*-- The <enter> key on the qwerty keyboard works fine when completing
    > emacs commands. The <enter> key on the numeric keypad has no effect.

    Both do the same thing for me on xemacs, but not on emacs. Since
    emacs understands the keys as RET and kp-enter, I think you need to
    fiddle with your emacs configuration to make the minibuffer understand
    kp-enter as well as RET.

    (S)