Re: ssh session hangs for a minute or so

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_dodgy.net.au)
Date: 04/17/04

    Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:46:00 +0000 (UTC)

    In article <m2vfjz29pl.fsf@darwin.local>,
    Richard E. Silverman <res@qoxp.net> wrote:

    >darwin# ifconfig en0
    >en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    >
    ># to set the MTU:
    >
    >darwin# ifconfig en0 mtu <n>

    Reducing the MTU might help (depending on what the cause of the problem
    is) but I was talking about path MTU discovery. On Linux, for example,
    you can disable it with:

    echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: Question about SCP stalling over VPN
      ... If you are using ssh do you need to use scp as well? ... Or is just plain copy ok? ... MTU is and does. ... usually comes from bad judgement. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: ssh hangs after successfull login
      ... I got no chance to adjust MTU of the ... > remote uk server (becuase ssh is the only way I can get to the server, ... connection then you may see a constant or growing number in the "Send-Q" ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Question about SCP stalling over VPN
      ... My VPN is a pair of old Netscreen 5xp boxes, and I can't find anything relating to MTU or packet size in the configuration, but I'm still looking. ... I could feasibly set up an NFS share between the two but I have a sneaking suspicion that if the problem is some sort of packet mangling by the VPN during file transfers, the actual mechanism used to transfer the file will be irrelevant. ... This does sound like the MTU problem to which you refer. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Problems Establishing ssh Connection With 802.11a Wireless Canopy System
      ... That's possibly an MTU issue, ... Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au) ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: ssh hang after SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
      ... IPSEC is one of the usual suspects for MTU problems. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)