Re: PRNG not seeded

From: Steve Bassler (bassmstr.delete.this.to.reply_at_adelphia.net)
Date: 04/07/04

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:26:54 -0400

On 6 Apr 2004 13:19:41 -0700, Bill <bverzal@komatsuna.com> wrote:

> sbassle@alleghenyenergy.com (Steve Bassler) wrote in message
>> I have installed OpenSSH 3.7.1p1-pwexp24 (that's with Darren Tucker's
>> password expiration patch) on a couple dozen AIX servers - a mix of
>> 4.3.3, 5.1, and 5.2. I just upgraded a server from 5.1 to 5.2 and
>> reinstalled SSH. I can logon successfully, but when I try to SSH to
>> another server from there, I receive the following error:
>> PRNG is not seeded
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> FYI, I have compiled a separate version for AIX 5.2 because on 5.1 and
>> earlier, I had to install EGD for random-number generation. With 5.2
>> I can configure SSH to use /dev/random. This has worked fine on all
>> my other AIX 5.2 servers until now. And BTW, this is the first one
>> I've migrated from 5.1 rather than install from scratch, if that makes
>> a difference.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Steve
>>
>> Steve Bassler
>> Systems Programmer
>> Allegheny Energy
>> Greensburg, PA, USA
>
> Use /dev/urandom.

It turns out that after the migration install, both /dev/random and
/dev/urandom came in with permissions crw-r-----, where on all my other
AIX 5.2 servers (installed from scratch), they are crw-r--r--. Once I
added the world readable bit to both, everything worked fine.

One more entry in the "Things that make you go 'Huh?'" file.

Steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PRNG not seeded
    ... >> reinstalled SSH. ... >> I've migrated from 5.1 rather than install from scratch, ... >> Steve Bassler ... AIX 5.2 servers (installed from scratch), ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: User Rights Assignment - not available - Resolved
    ... Thanks Steve for your effort to help me here. ... Then copy the security file from the \windows\repair ... If none of that works I would try an upgrade/repair install ... This operation may find that this database is corrupt ...
  • Re: User Rights Assignment - not available - Resolved
    ... Thanks Steve for your effort to help me here. ... Pointing me to DumpSec ... If none of that works I would try an upgrade/repair install ... This operation may find that this database is corrupt ...
  • Re: User Rights Assignment - not available - Resolved
    ... Thanks Steve for your effort to help me here. ... If none of that works I would try an upgrade/repair install ... it shows user rights and use the Resource Kit command line tool ... This operation may find that this database is corrupt ...
  • Re: What th...?
    ... Steve de Mena wrote: ... Cannon digital camera to it via USB, ... CD and then tried to install them, ... in question moved off of the old Compaq and onto my friend's Mac, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)