Re: 2 SSH questions: why does it pause so much, and, can I keep connection alive?

From: Michael Levin (mlevin77_at_comcast.net)
Date: 04/02/04

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 01:46:55 GMT

Hi Darren -

    Thank you for replying to my post!

In article <BC8F81AF.1336E%mlevin77@comcast.net>,
Michael Levin <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:

>>I'm running SSH clients on a Mac OSX to connect to a Unix box. Does anyone
>>have any thoughts on the following:

>>1) it works ok to connect, but every 30 seconds or so, everything freezes,
>>and I have to wait a while (another 30 seconds). In the meantime, my
>>keystrokes get saved, but it's a pain in the ass when doing real-time word
>>processing (in Emacs) for example. What's going on? Why is it jumpy like
>>that? The host machine is not busy, and I'm on a T1 line at work, so I can't
>>believe it's network throughput or CPU time issues. Maybe I have some sort
>>of parameter set wrong? Has anyone else observed this sort of intermittent
>>pausing?

> Do you have a firewall between client and server? It sounds like you do,
> and that is has a state-table timeout of about 30s.

I believe the server is behind a firewall. Iım sorry Iım not up on the
details here. Whatıs this state-table timeout? Iım assuming it can cause
these pauses; if so, is there anything that can be done to help the
situation? Maybe I can talk to the sysadmin there, if I knew what I was
asking him to do...

>>2) If I open a connection, and don't touch it for some minutes, the host
>>disconnects, leaving me with an unresponsive window - have to close it and
>>re-connect. Is there any tweak that I can use to keep the connection alive?
>>I don't own the host machine, so I wouldn't be able to muck with the ssh
>>server on that side, but maybe there's some trick for making it stay
>>connected?

> Put ServerAliveInterval into ssh_config on the client (OpenSSH 3.8 and
> up) or ClientAliveInterval into sshd_config on the server (OpenSSH 2.9
> and up). I suggest 20 seconds.

   Iım running OpenSSH 3.6.1 on Mac OSX. I scoured the OpenSSH website, and
while they say the 3.8 is out, I donıt see a TAR archive for 3.8 anywhere,
and I donıt see an OSX executable anywhere either. Do you by any chance know
where I can get 3.8 (hopefully executable for OS X, or if not, something
which will compile on OSX)? Currently, thereıs no file name ssh_config on my
system. Is this a 3.8-specific thing, or should there be one somewhere for
3.6 as well?

> Also, run "ssh -vvv" and see if there are any messages corresponding with
> your freezes.

  I tried this; when I first started SSH, it spit out a bunch of stuff
before it logged in. Then I logged in, and no special messages appeared at
all (it did the freeze thing once) - all I saw was what the server system
was saying (I worked in the shell, used Emacs, etc.). Then I logged out, and
it said a bunch of stuff as it exited. How does the vvv work ­ if there was
a problem during the session, would it superimpose its messages on the text
coming from the server?

   Thank you for your time and help.

Cheers,

Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote X11 Connection
    ... ssh -Y ... ... I noticed though on connecting and using emacs to open the required file ... the GUI of the server was loaded not my local GUI ... what you did was log on to the remote server and run emacs there, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: VNC client on FreeBSD for Mac OS X server?
    ... server running on an OSX Mac. ... is what your vnc client must use when you want to connect to OSX. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Php / Apache / OS X Server 10.3.6
    ... > (on a test server) to everything and still no go. ... The default upload directory is ... Apache/php errors are reported to console.log in OSX (client) which can ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Un portatile come server?
    ... Nel caso del server di posta su osx o su linux non vedo differenza... ... La differenza sta nel fatto che il mio Apple Center crea dei serverini utilizzando OSX e alcuni tool open source che forniscono un'interfaccia grafica ad alcuni servizi come server di posta, ftp, dhcp ecc. ... Con OSX basta che gli dica di avviarsi dal disco esterno e il tutto mi funziona. ...
    (it.comp.macintosh)
  • emacs 21.4.1 font-lock vs Memory exhausted
    ... Running emacs -q, ... "Regex used to find timestamps in a server logfile.") ... "Regex used to find thread names in a server logfile.") ...
    (comp.emacs)