Re: SSH scripting

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 04/01/04

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 01:03:24 -0500

ash wrote:
> my fav way of doing it:
>
> ssh -e none username@host "tar zcvf - /home/me" | tar zxvf -
>
> This is especially useful if you want to mirror a hard disk over the
> n/w. most linux distros come with sshd installed...
>
> ~a

Use "rsyne -e ssh -avH" where possible: rsync has some nice options to
delete extraneous files at the remote location, and has some nice checksum
utilities that tar doesn't. You can also set up an rsync service on the
remote server if you want to rely on host-based access rather than SSH for
something that lives in a specific subdirectory: tar really doesn't have
that kind of control of the remote insallation directory unless you start
setting up chroot cages.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: backup problem - file reached 2GB
    ... It works perfectly but unfortunately the backup file reached 2GB ... to make a transfer file bigger than 2GB to remote machine? ... Some utils can handle larger data sets or data streams, but neither tar nor ftp are among them. ... I think in the case of tar, or maybe just the stock tar program you can't even have tar read a mass of files that are each ok and merely add up to more than 2g of output even if you're only writing to a network pipe to a remote platform that can handle it. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Best Way to Copy Remote Systems Partitions?
    ... At the risk of repeating a FAQ, what is the best way to copy disk ... I wanted to tar the directories and then copy the tar files, ... not enough space for even a compressed tar file on the remote system. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
  • Re: Best Way to Copy Remote Systems Partitions?
    ... At the risk of repeating a FAQ, what is the best way to copy disk ... I wanted to tar the directories and then copy the tar files, ... not enough space for even a compressed tar file on the remote system. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
  • Re: XP Home to XP pro ?
    ... Both the edition and service pack level must agree (hard disk and cd) in order to do a repair install. ... also ...I thought that a necessary component for "Remote Assistance" was included in XP Pro but, ... option, then maybe you bought an OEM disk, which can't do an upgrade. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Large 10mm+ rectangular LEDs as used on the Commodore Amiga and CBM 1571 units...
    ... What's wrong with using epoxy to merge/embed ... cheap high output LED's into light conductive plastic? ... All of this just to remote indicate activity? ... Not all background tasks access hard disk either. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)