Re: How can I configure to run as 'root' all the time ?

From: Darren Dunham (ddunham_at_redwood.taos.com)
Date: 04/01/04

    Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 01:50:55 GMT

    Jitendra Sharma <jksharma@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I want to run scp/ssh commands with effective user-id as 'root' ie.
    > when I execute :
    > %unix breeze<nwkuser>87: ssh NCP2 hostname

    What is "NCP2" there? or did you mean "ssh hostname NCP2"?

    > This command should run with effective user-id as 'root' even though
    > issued by 'nwkuser'. So , once this command is issued by 'nwkuser' it
    > should do setuid/seteuid as 'root' and should look for SSH keys in
    > /.ssh where I creates them.

    Install sudo maybe?

    %unix breeze<nwkuser>87: sudo ssh hostname NCP2

    Or don't worry about the keys in root, and set up the nwkuser with it's
    own key, and authorize that key on all the machines that that user needs
    to reach.

    %unix breeze<nwkuser>87: ssh root@hostname NCP2

    --
    Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com

    • RE: [opensuse] limiting users who can use su
      ... Is there a way to control which user accounts can use 'su' when using ssh? ... Root constantly gets compromised when you do that. ... And you can easily disable/delete that user on an ... authorization keys. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Secure Shell quries
      ... To have root access, one must su after ... ssh keys to allow root access with a key only, ... I do this too - use 'without-password' settings via SSH keys. ... As root user on each server, ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: How can I configure to run as root all the time ?
      ... Thanks for responding to my query related to SSH. ... NCP1 is a host with some defined IP address like 10.1.1.201. ... I want to run ssh/scp as root because the keys will be generated by ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Opening ports in my firewall
      ... >> only with DSA keys, and not allowing manual password logins. ... - copy the .ssh directory to the new machine, if you control it, or ... Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • RE: sshd / ssh setup
      ... USA server and his windows/xp notebook to use SSH. ... followed sshd instruction and built ... and require users to submit keys. ...
      (freebsd-questions)