It's a troll, guys, was Re: National security backdoor.

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 03/31/04

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:03:12 -0500

Shampoo wrote:
> There is a backdoor that national security and other federal
> officials use to access all computers in the world. We are also
> permitted to access the backdoor at the Earth Intelligence and
> Knowledge Agency - a startup agency that was able to see inside of
> the worlds' most secure organizations. We wish for a more secure
> world - not just on our machines but yours as well.
>
> telnetd is infected with a national security backdoor in all non-
> source compiled versions of FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD. If you
> download the source code for telnetd and compile it to compare the
> file size of the "stock" or "out of the box" version of telnetd
> versus the source-compiled version - you will clearly see a
> difference - which is the backdoor. This information should be
> forwarded to CERT and the BSD and Linux development teams.
>
> It is to our knowledge that all operating systems have backdoors in
> their out-of-the-box daemons for national security use.
> All versions of Linux and SunOS with in.telnetd are also infected.
> The portmapper and most stock daemons in all OS's are infected if the
> compilation from direct source code results in a file size that is
> different from stock.
>
> This message is representing the Earth Intelligence and Knowledge
> Agency located at http://www.matrix4.net

For the newbies on the group, simply comparing the sizes of binaries is
fairly useless. Very slight differences in libraries or compiler differences
will make significant changes in the resulting binaries, even if they are
from the same source and have the same behavior.

What we've got here is a tin-foil hat waearing whack job, or a slightly
cleverer troll than most.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: National security backdoor.
    ... |telnetd is infected with a national security backdoor in all non-source ... |source code for telnetd and compile it to compare the file size of the ... |version - you will clearly see a difference - which is the backdoor. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: National security backdoor.
    ... > |telnetd is infected with a national security backdoor in all non-source ... If you download the ... If you can compile a clean version, it's a pretty poor backdoor. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] How I Compiled TrueCrypt For Windows and Matched the Official Binaries
    ... What if the binaries provided on the website were different than the source ... Does it mean a potential backdoor or weakness should only be found in ... - Nobody audited the source code. ... Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/ ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Announce loop-AES-v3.0b file/swap crypto package
    ... >> Nothing about kernel crypto is backdoored. ... >> should show me source code. ... Clearly there is no intentional backdoor. ... confusing the kernel with util-linux is a strange trick. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • National security backdoor.
    ... There is a backdoor that national security and other federal officials use ... The portmapper and most stock daemons in all OS's are infected if the ... This message is representing the Earth Intelligence and Knowledge Agency ...
    (comp.security.ssh)