Re: CVS without a shell

From: Pierre Asselin (pa_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 03/26/04

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:46:42 -0500

Cole Tuininga <cole@tuininga.org> wrote:
> Hi all, I have a question about cvs with ssh that I was hoping y'all might
> be able to help me with. Essentially, I've got a box that I want to give
> my developers secure cvs access (via ssh). However, I don't want them to
> have a shell account.

> With the shell set to /bin/false, they can't cvs in. Any ideas? Thanks
> in advance...

If the server is on a Unix, try 'man sshd' and read the section on
"AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT". Especially the part about "command=".

I think the command you want them to execute is "cvs server".

Relevant Pages

  • Re: CVS over SSH hangs
    ... I am experiencing problems using ssh as a shell for CVS. ... There is a small hang during connection start up: ... > (which is what CVS is doing) you can see the CPU usage go to 100%. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: CVS over SSH hangs
    ... When I try to checkout a large project from the localhost with ssh the ... I assume the problem is the ancient version of ssh I have installed on the localhost: ... > debug1: Seeding random number generator ... CVS transfer completes, but the session just hangs there as though there ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH and CVS
    ... I would like to use CVS (Concurent Versioning ... > in client/server mode, via SSH. ... OK, first, try working with Putty instead of VanDyke's ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: CVS over ssh question
    ... Tom Maddox wrote: ... > has been put on me, namely that the remote developers not be allowed shell ... > access to the CVS machine, and I can't figure out a good way to accomplish ... > that while still allowing CVS access over ssh. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Connection timeouts with SSH and CVS
    ... >> I'm having problems using SSH and CVS at my work. ... they timeout before anything starts. ... SSH connection) just fine. ...
    (Debian-User)