Re: hacked through ssh

From: John (mcgowan_at_lynch2.com)
Date: 03/10/04

    Date: 10 Mar 2004 06:33:45 -0800

    Richard E. Silverman <res@qoxp.net> wrote in message news:<m2llm92t4l.fsf@darwin.oankali.net>...
    > If it was an appliance box, perhaps there was simply an account with a
    > known default password?

    The password was already changed from the default. However, The
    reason I'm trying to investigate this further, is that I'm not so sure
    it wasn't hacked by a simple brute force on the password. The
    password changed, but it still wasn't that secure.

    • Re: write with cURL
      ... reading each other's files using PHP, ... shared hosting account and I will promptly remit payment. ... not as secure as you believe it to be. ...
      (alt.php)
    • Re: Verifying E-Mail Addresses
      ... I have an account there too. ... This "customer" happened to be a next door ... instead of how to secure it. ... network, or you're running an open one. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: write with cURL
      ... shared hosting account and I will promptly remit payment. ... but to example how your PHP setup is not as secure ... information regarding the server name, login, or IP publicly. ...
      (alt.php)
    • Re: write with cURL
      ... each other's files using PHP, you've stated that I would have to pay ... shared hosting account and I will promptly remit payment. ... but to example how your PHP setup is not as secure as ...
      (alt.php)
    • Re: How many CALs do I need?
      ... > FTP Server: Box will have FTP. ... > 1 login name and password that everyone would share. ... > Secure Web Pages: Our website will have a 'secure' section that you must ... > logging in at any given time, but it will all be under the same account ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)