Re: Q: pub key login still asks for password??

From: Lukas Neuburger (lukasne-usenet_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/09/04

    Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:34:14 GMT

    Jason,

    When in doubt try using the -v option with either scp/ssh. This will
    enable verbose output from either command, and can often reveal the
    source of the problem. Multiple uses of the option (e.g. -vv) increases
    verbosity.

    Items to look for in the verbose output would be:

    --- BEGIN EXAMPLE TEXT---
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/identity
    debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_rsa
    debug1: Trying private key: /home/username/.ssh/id_dsa
    debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Next authentication method: password
    --- END EXAMPLE TEXT ---

    The above example illustrates what authentication methods are being
    used, as well any identities being used in public key authentication. In
    your situation you may see information that pinpoints why your public
    key is not being used or if public key authentication is even enabled on
    the remote server.

    Regarding additional reference for SSH, I find the Oreilly SSH book[1]
    to be very useful. There is a free sample chapter from Oreilly's SSH
    book available online[2] that does cover information related to public
    key authentication.

    Good luck,

    -Lukas

    [1]http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sshtdg/index.html
    [2]http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sshtdg/chapter/ch08.html

    • Public key authentication doesnt work
      ... the remote .ssh/authorized_keys but still the public key authentication ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Why does sshd on fedora 5 reject public key exchange
      ... I am accessing a fedora 5 machine using public key authentication ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug1: Next authentication method: publickey ...
      (SSH)
    • ssh connection closed after successful authentication
      ... Since today I have a problem on my root server that drives me mad. ... can log in via public key authentication with no problem. ... debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Key-based authentication in SSH with Sun Directory Server 6.3 (On Solaris 10 client)
      ... I'm having problems with key-based authentication on one of my Solaris ... debug1: Connection established. ... # rlogin service (explicit because of pam_rhost_auth) ... # Default definitions for Authentication management ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • LDAP Authentication via SSH
      ... authenticate via SSH to the LDAP server. ... debug1: Connecting to ldapclient.domain port 22. ... debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive ... # rlogin service (explicit because of pam_rhost_auth) ...
      (SunManagers)