Re: Putty hangs win2k machine

From: Jacob Nevins (jacobn_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 02/22/04

    Date: 22 Feb 2004 15:32:39 +0000 (GMT)

    Andy Fish <ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
    >it all connects and works OK but after a few minutes, putty completely
    >hangs.
    >
    >I cannot even close it using task manager. it tries to close the first
    >time but does nothing. then when I try again, task manager says
    >'access denied'. I have to restart the machine to get it back again.

    We've had a rash of reports similar to this recently, but people have
    been reporting such behaviour on and off for years.

    Our current knowledge is summarised at
    <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/hard-hangs.html>.
    Does this match what you're seeing?

    Since none of us has ever seen this, we're unlikely to be able to do
    much about it without some detective work from the people who _are_
    seeing it, to try to narrow down what it's correlated with.

    >I have not used debian or putty with ssl before so I don't know which
    >is at fault.

    PuTTY and/or Windows. The remote system shouldn't be able to do this to
    the local system.

    • Re: slow & virtual memory low - Cause inCDsrv.exe ?
      ... Earlier you said "HD Tune? ... have it, I will check into it, but I just hate to download Anything". ... You should be able to gather more information from Task Manager. ... MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM reports -See Knowledge Base Article ...
    • Re: Measuring DPC time
      ... I like to monitor the CPU utilization of a process like the Windows ... percentage reported by the Windows Task Manager. ... Process Explorer reports the same values as GetProcessTimes / ... GetSystemTimes (also lower than the Windows Task Manager) however it ...
    • catch-22 task manager
      ... Every time I attempt to setup a task in task manager it asks me for a password. ... I'd rather not replace one annoyance with another annoyance. ... if I use the start menu and jump to user accounts only accounts showing is me ... DON'T get email from dshield every hour to ack my reports. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: My home page has changed to "CoolWWWSearch" variant
      ... I solved the dying Task manager problem and the ... spybot prevention by removing the CWS startup app. ... >> WinXP SP1 fully patched with IE security settings all at default. ... Every few minutes WinPatrol reports the ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Windows Task Manager Question
      ... But whenever I suspect a crash, such as after 10 minutes OL is still trying to start Word as my e-mail editor, I open the Windows Task Manager. ... The Task Manager happily reports that all my programs are running beautifully. ... Why doesn't the Task Manager provide accurate operational information? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)