Re: Putty hangs win2k machine

From: Jacob Nevins (jacobn_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 02/22/04

    Date: 22 Feb 2004 15:32:39 +0000 (GMT)

    Andy Fish <ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
    >it all connects and works OK but after a few minutes, putty completely
    >hangs.
    >
    >I cannot even close it using task manager. it tries to close the first
    >time but does nothing. then when I try again, task manager says
    >'access denied'. I have to restart the machine to get it back again.

    We've had a rash of reports similar to this recently, but people have
    been reporting such behaviour on and off for years.

    Our current knowledge is summarised at
    <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/hard-hangs.html>.
    Does this match what you're seeing?

    Since none of us has ever seen this, we're unlikely to be able to do
    much about it without some detective work from the people who _are_
    seeing it, to try to narrow down what it's correlated with.

    >I have not used debian or putty with ssl before so I don't know which
    >is at fault.

    PuTTY and/or Windows. The remote system shouldn't be able to do this to
    the local system.