Re: openssh & X11

From: Darren Tucker (
Date: 02/07/04

    Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:21:30 +0000 (UTC)

    In article <>,
    Gary Armstrong <> wrote:
    >Yup yet another newbie, so if I missed this or misunderstood what I
    >read, please accept my appologies.
    >I have gotten openssh to work through a natting router to a system on my
    >lan. The correct port is forwarded from the router to a linux box
    >running sshd. The X11 forwarding appears to work from the ssh server to
    >the client. From this setup I'm able to rlogin and get shell access to
    >another system of interest on my lan.
    >What I'd like to know, is it possible to run an Xapp there and display
    >it on the client outside the router? When I run a Xapp on the ssh
    >server, DISPLAY is set to localhost:10.0. I tried setting DISPLAY on the
    >app server to sshserver:10.0, but no joy.
    >Is this doable and what does it take?

    Yes, but it will take some setting up. First, set "X11UseLocalhost no"
    in the SSH server's sshd_config and restart sshd.

    Next, log back in via SSH and do "echo $DISPLAY", you should find that
    it's something like "hostname:10".

    Now you need to find the matching xauth key for that display. You should
    be able to do something like "xauth nextract - $DISPLAY" (this may depend
    on your X libraries), and merge this into your SunOS box's xauth file.

    You can probably string this together with something like this on your
    SSH server (untested):

    $ xauth nextract - $DISPLAY | \
      rsh sunosbox "xauth nmerge -; DISPLAY=$DISPLAY xterm"

    >Note: the app server is an oooolllllddd sunOS 4.1.4 machine and it's a
    >pain to get anything new to work there.

    OpenSSH -current is known to build on SunOS 4.1.2 (at least, it did a
    couple of months back) and there's a patch for 3.7.1p2 here:

    Darren Tucker (dtucker at
    usually comes from bad judgement.