Re: ssh across socks + remote firewall

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_dodgy.net.au)
Date: 02/01/04

    Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:56:28 +0000 (UTC)

    In article <gwWSb.80$zM7.68346944@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    J M <JM@jm.biz> wrote:
    >How do I ssh across following configuration?
    >
    >my box -> my.com.socks.80 -> remote.public.host.ip.port.22 ->
    >remote.private.ip.port.22

    Go grab a copy of "connect" and install it on mybox and
    remote.public.host.
    http://www.taiyo.co.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.html

    On "mybox" create a ~/.ssh/config something like the following (I'm
    assuming your socks server is really port 1080, if not, adjust to suit).

    Host remote.public
      ProxyCommand /path/to/connect -S my.com.socks:1080 remote.public.ip 22

    Host remote.private
      ProxyCommand ssh remote.public /path/to/connect remote.private.ip 22

    Now just "ssh remote.private" and in theory it should just work (you may
    want to set up public-key authentication so you don't need to type 2
    passwords).

    Note that you will be double-encrypting the traffic, so it's not super
    efficient.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.