compressed connection problem on 3.7.1p2

From: Andy Law (
Date: 11/28/03

    Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:45:06 +0000

    I have OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 installed on a Tru64 system. It accepts
    uncompressed connections just fine, but disconnects connections
    attempted using compression. Everything seems to go OK, but I get kicked
    out bfore I get to the shell prompt.

    The output from a connection is reproduced below

    my-sys> ssh -C -v -v -l myname rio14

    debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method publickey
    debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
    debug1: send channel open 0
    debug1: Entering interactive session.
    debug1: channel_free: channel 0: client-session, nchannels 1
    Connection to rio14 closed by remote host.
    Connection to rio14 closed.
    debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 73 bytes in 4.1 seconds
    debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 17.8
    debug1: Exit status -1
    debug1: compress outgoing: raw data 1115, compressed 594, factor 0.53
    debug1: compress incoming: raw data 513, compressed 521, factor 1.02

    I can tinker with the remote configuration and access the logfiles, I'm
    just uncertain where to look for lues first of all.

    Any suggestions gratefully received.

    (email is 'Andy' and 'Law' with a period between them at