Re: Adding text before the login prompt

From: Andrew Schulman (andrex_at_deadspam.com)
Date: 11/17/03

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:50:29 -0500

> I was wondering if there is a way to change or add text that appears
> before a login prompt

It's a good bet that the prompt is stored in a file somewhere, and it's
another good bet that that file is somewhere in /etc. So figure it out for
yourself: take a recognizable chunk of that login prompt text, and find
where it lives by

grep -r "$TEXT" /etc

where $TEXT is the text you want.

As it happens, I'd been wondering this same thing. Your question made me go
and find the answer. So now I know, but I'm not telling :)

P.S. grep -r is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

--
To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"