Re: X window on ssh

From: Darren Tucker (
Date: 11/10/03

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:12:29 GMT

In article <>,
a2zasics <> wrote:
>I am trying to run cygwin with ssh into Linux machine. I use startx to
>start Xwindow manager on WinXP. Then i do :
>ssh -X -l <user> <IP-of-Linux>
>On Linux terminal :
>export DISPLAY=:0.0

Don't do that, sshd will set $DISPLAY to an appropriate value. If
$DISPLAY is not set, check that X forwarding is enabled on the server.
(For OpenSSH, check X11Forwarding and XAuthLocation, details will vary
for other SSH servers.)

If you need to mess with SSH's $DISPLAY then you're doing something

(Actually, that isn't always true, but if you know that then you know
enough to figure out what you need to do and when.)

Darren Tucker (dtucker at
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Openssh w/restricted shell wierdness
    ... >I have Openssh 3.5p1 installed on a Linux machine with users shells ... >cat hostname ls pwd scp sftp ssh. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
  • Re: Problem tunneling X11 on AIX
    ... > I´ve got a Problem to tunnel X11 over SSH. ... > It´s no problem to connect but the DISPLAY isn´t set. ... $DISPLAY is set on the client before running ssh. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
  • Re: finding out ssh client name
    ... > i am using ssh to connect to my linux machine which is running RHL 7.3 ... > locate the ssh client mac address anywhere (like the environment ... > variables to the bash the ssh opens on the linux machine). ... DISPLAY on the remote machine should be set to the correct forwarded SSH ...
  • Re: which port(s) does the X server listen on?
    ... > but remote X clients are unable to display to it. ... things just quietly fail to display. ... Most of the time one would ssh to the box they want to run the ... If everything is setup ...
  • Re: DECwindows over PuTTY
    ... I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. ... I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. ...