Re: Getting remote user and remote host

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/10/03

Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:19:30 -0500

"Michael Heiming" <michael+USENET@www.heiming.de> wrote in message
news:dqajob.tqp.ln@news.heiming.de...
> Thomas Guettler <guettli@thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> > There is a remote account which is used
> > by serveral people.
>
> > Is there a way to distinguish between the remote
> > users?
>
> > It would be nice to have environment variables like:
>
> > SSH_REMOTE_USER and SSH_REMOTE_HOST
>
> You just need to setup accounts for each user, it's
> a rather bad idea to use a shared account and now
> blame ssh for your wrong usage of unix.

There are numerous compelling reasons to do this, usually involving shared
access to special user privileges on that specific server.

Do your users come from specific hosts? A .bashrc could read the connecting
hostname and set some things per that information, or maybe you can play
some games in your .profile or .cshrc to get such information?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re-Post - "the trust relationship between this workstation and the
    ... "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain ... only problem is adding a new user account on the station. ... Client computer must use STRICTLY the INTERNAL DNS server which can ... Attr: subschemaSubentry ...
  • Re: Same question, still no answer!!!
    ... Sounds then like we are all paying for a feature set only large companies ... The "proxy server" pc is actually an older box stuffed ... Expectation #1) keep the ethernet more or less as is. ... The kids account would be ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Re-Post - "the trust relationship between this workstation and the
    ... "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain ... only problem is adding a new user account on the station. ... This would be on the DNS server 172.20.100.2 ... Attr: subschemaSubentry ...
  • Sending email to mydomain.com
    ... server will appear as undeliverable. ... This happens because you are using the POP3 connector... ... an NDR when an account doesn't exist). ... >different from the user account names for the exchange ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SOME Users cannot access OWA others do, error HTTP 500
    ... I understand that some account access OWA ... IIS 6.0 compression corruption causes access violations ... compressed copy of the affected files on the SBS server: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)