Re: scp hogs up CPU and cannot be killed

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/08/03

    Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:39:33 -0500

    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I wonder if anyone has seen this problem. I have searched the
    > > web but although I find a few mentions of it, I haven't found
    > > a solution.
    > >
    > > Scp'ing a large file (multi GB) to a Linux RH 8.0 box (8 cpus,
    > > lots of memory, lots of disk space) causes the Linux box to get
    > > into a tizzy: top shows scp using lots of cpu, cpu states
    > > are 50%--75% system, scp cannot be killed by kill -9, and
    > > although the box is alive, it is just crawling along.
    > > Other jobs run very, very slowly.

    RedHat 8.x uses a 3.x OpenSSH by default. However, 8x CPU's is asking a lot
    of a 2.4 default kernel. Have you kept your kernel up-to-date?

    • Re: Linux hacked
      ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: [patch 0/4] MAP_NOZERO v2 - VM_NOZERO/MAP_NOZERO early summer madness
      ... Also, a simple kernel build, in my Dual Opteron with 8GB of RAM, shows ... So I implemented a rather quick hack that introduces a new mmapflag ... if your web browser and your ssh session are running under the same ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Threading behavior in 2.6.5 may be broken ?
      ... > I ssh into the server and run this program as root ... > On this new kernel, ... RedHat implements this by introducing an i386-specific ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Sticking with RH8
      ... I log into the system using SSH. ... I updated the kernel recently. ... Instead of using the SAMBA RPM, ... I downloaded 2.7 source and compiled it myself (makes future updates ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: how to shape incoming traffic on specific port?
      ... On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 19:18, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote: ... > this ssh stop working at all. ... What kernel version ... > Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov ...
      (Debian-User)