Re: Secure file transfer from unix to windows

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/02/03

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 17:01:02 -0500

"UnixFan" <gxy1997@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:268fc341.0310272259.af37608@posting.google.com...

> There is no perfect security: when you worry about the security of
> unencrypted password key stored on the server with 0600 permission,
> you do worry about people with root privilege who can read any files,
> right? But when you can not trust all of them, why don't you worry
> about them to use system call tracer or use a trojan horse to capture
> the key when you enter it? With everyone can modify and build up SSH
> executables, there is really a problem for detecting trojan horse, and
> that is one of the reason we choose the AutoSFTP from WZIS for our
> production use: It provides a trojan horse detecting functionality,
> that will create a checksum certificate for ssh and sftp before you
> can start to use asftp, such that if later someone changes the ssh or
> sftp program, asftp will be able to detect the change and refuse to
> run. Without knowing the certification generation password, even root
> will not be able to temper the certificate.

The lack of "perfect security" is no excuse for really, really *bad*
security by keeping unencrypted password keys. Such files can always be read
by anyone with physical access to the server in question, and can often be
read from the user's home directory in NFS or SMB setups or from backup
tapes. Remember, while binary vulnerabilities and rootkit attacks are
certainly common in the wild, most crackers don't bother: they go after the
unsecured easy access, such as really poor passwords recorded in /etc/passwd
and (you guessed it!) unencrypted SSH keyfiles, which are often used by
idiots to access remote servers and such delightful sites as sourceforge CVS
source trees.

The checksum/change detection you describe is more correctly incorporated
into a distinct package, not the SSH server itself. I recommend "tripwire"
for its flexibility and common deployment in the Linux world, but there are
plenty of other such tools.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trouble with X11 over SSH on Mandriva 2010.0
    ... If next clean install/update causes ssh to break, ... installed the sshd daemon/service package (OpenSSH Server) on the server. ... correct values for client and server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)
    ... this was one "result" of the comromised ssh binary at sourceforge. ... a public server of the Apache Software Foundation ... > (ASF) was illegally accessed by unknown crackers. ... > exhaustive audit of all Apache source code and binary distributions ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: FreeBSD Crash without Errors, Warnings, or Panics
    ... I suppose I could run on stable until the driver is fixed in a release branch, but I need this box up and online, and I've always read that the stable branch is not the place for production servers. ... I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p5 on a Toshiba built server: dual Xeon Intel motherboard with a LSILogic MegaRAID controller. ... Also, some network ports still respond, like a telnet to port 22 to test SSH will yield an SSH banner, but trying to connect with SSH just hangs. ... The box runs a web-based app and connects to a local Postgres DB which seemed to be unable to start new connections being requested by the PHP scripts. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: restrict ssh access
    ... > We have one ssh server which receives about 6000 failed attempts to ... > unsuccessful login attempts per client IP address? ... the remote server is also running OpenSSH. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH as root
    ... Subject: SSH as root ... but it doesn't require having a key on the server that could be ... If they compromise a server, and the passphrase, etc. is there, they only ... private key to anyone. ...
    (SSH)