Re: ssh server fpr Win9x?

From: Darren Dunham (ddunham_at_redwood.taos.com)
Date: 09/28/03

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:41:22 GMT

Jens Müller <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> Hi,

>> > is there anywhere a ssh server für Windows 9x? (Freeware if
> possible)
>>
>> You can install cygwin, then openssh on it.
>> I run that on a Windows ME box.

> I looked at it. But this has to be run as a service, to authentificate
> with the right user password, hasn't it?
> Or how did you set it up?

No, it doesn't. You can't have a true "service" on 98/ME. That imposes
some limitations.

I think you can't have anything running unless a user is "logged in".
For my home machine, that's not a concern, it just sits with me logged
in all the time.

I have a shortcut in my startup folder so it runs when I log in. The
shortcut is to C:\cygwin\sshd.bat, at that file looks like this...

@echo off
C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
bash --login -c "/usr/sbin/sshd"

That's it.. it starts up and runs in the background. I've never managed
to log in using any of my ME user/password information, but key
authentication works just fine.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  • Re: Start Menu dispays a black screen
    ... The pinned shortcut to my Downloads folder -- works when clicked. ... Windows asks if I want to create a shortcut on desktop. ... If you have the very latest video drivers - downloaded from the video ... card mftr.'s site (unlikely to be the ones on the CD included with the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Telephone Dialer?
    ... Are you aware that all three newsgroups that this thread is in are Windows ... So, I tried your shortcut with the substitution above, instead of your ... This tip lists two ways of easily dialing frequent numbers. ... and it is constantly busy. ...
  • Re: Telephone Dialer?
    ... Are you aware that all three newsgroups that this thread is in are Windows ... So, I tried your shortcut with the substitution above, instead of your ... This tip lists two ways of easily dialing frequent numbers. ... and it is constantly busy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Telephone Dialer?
    ... Are you aware that all three newsgroups that this thread is in are Windows ... So, I tried your shortcut with the substitution above, instead of your ... This tip lists two ways of easily dialing frequent numbers. ... and it is constantly busy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Commercials protraying PC 20 years ago
    ... Some windows from a site I happen to ... opens with firefox.exe highlighted in the install folder. ... didn't use the installer, you know where you installed it. ... For making a shortcut, you can copy the existing shortcut. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)