Re: PuTTY question

From: Jacob Nevins (jacobn_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: 09/26/03

Date: 25 Sep 2003 23:28:45 +0100 (BST)

(followups set)

Steven Curtis <sjcurt01@netscape.net> writes:
>This question is not security related, but this is the only place I
>could find mentioned on the PuTTY web site as a place to ask
>questions. Keepalive packets are showing up as ^?q characters in my
>telnet session to an HP box. Are there any PuTTY settings or remote
>terminal setting I can change so they are interpreted correctly?

Someone else reported something very similar (HPUX, same characters) to
us in email. I sent the following reply to them, but they have not yet
replied in turn.

=-=-=-=-=-
Hmm. That sounds plausibly like the Telnet NOP packet is being sent
through to your session verbatim, which probably means that your Telnet
server is broken. (It could also be something on the link mangling your
data, or a PuTTY bug.)

Does your alleged Telnet server actually speak the Telnet protocol?
PuTTY's Event Log should give clues (by showing whether there's an
active negotiation going on at startup). What does it look like?

(The Telnet protocol is quite similar to what PuTTY calls the "Raw"
protocol -- i.e. no protocol at all -- since most data is sent through
without any encapsulation, so it's common for the two to get confused.
You may have better luck using the Raw protocol.)

If your Telnet server won't accept Telnet NOP packets, then I'm afraid
PuTTY has no other way of sending keepalives. You'll have to fix your
Telnet server, or switch to SSH or rlogin.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PuTTY question
    ... Are there any PuTTY settings or remote ... That sounds plausibly like the Telnet NOP packet is being sent ... Does your alleged Telnet server actually speak the Telnet protocol? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Using Putty for the SSH tunnel AND the telnet program
    ... I've successfully configured putty to connect to the SSH ... tunnel, forward the telnet traffic, and use our client telnet program ... I realize that Putty is just trying to make the SSH connection, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: How can I suppress the negotiations between the telnet server and the client?
    ... But since we do not want to get into the implementation of telnet ... protocol we are not doing that. ... Then you can't talk to a telnet server. ... If you are not a telnet client, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Troublleshoot SSH
    ... > I have the SSHD daemon running, yet I can not telnet in on port 22 ... > using an SSH client. ... In PuTTY specify the host name, then change *Protocol* to SSH rather ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Read telnet screen
    ... How to a check telnet login process ... A full install of PuTTY comes with a command-line program called "plink" ... Dim port, host ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)