Q: KeepAlive not working

From: G. Ralph Kuntz, MD (grk_at_usa.net)
Date: 09/15/03

    Date: 15 Sep 2003 05:59:22 -0700

    My laptop (Debian Woody unstable) is behind a Linksys router acting as
    a firewall (all ports from inside allowed out, only 22, 80, 443
    allowed from outside). When I ssh to machines inside the LAN, they
    never disconnect. If I connect to a machine outside of the LAN (DMZ),
    it hangs after about 5 minutes of idle time, despite the fact that I
    have "KeepAlive yes" in my sshd_config file.

    I imagine that it have something to do with my Linksys box, but I
    can't figure out what.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Ralph

    • Re: Help with long term network problem
      ... Symptoms were not finding mapped network drives or shared printer on ... DATA by other machines on the LAN. ... dispensing with the dedicated server and just using on as file ...
    • Re: Home computer network problem
      ... I tried rerunning the network setup wizard but when I applied LAN setting it finished the wizard. ... Still if anyone feels they can offer more simple instructions to allow me to fix this & so share folders over my home network I would again be grateful for your help & will give it another try! ... I don't recommend either McAfee or Norton so don't have those programs running on any machines; therefore, I can't check the exact location of those configuration options for you. ...
    • Re: DSL Upgrade
      ... Discussions so far appear to be centered around hubs but since true hubs are just a means of connecting various machines on a LAN with no nat abilities they will not work in this case without the public id's mentioned. ... A router, Linksys BEFSR11, 1 port in and 1 out to your cable/dsl modem, or BEFSR41 with 4 ports, for your LAN computers, and 1 port out to your cable/dsl modem which will allow connection to 4 machines. ... If you connect 1 port for a LAN machine to a larger switch or hub more machines can be handled. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: iptables firewall script for linux
      ... a canned firewall script will mostly protect me from ... I think of machines on my lan as workstations ... I decided to read at least 10 HOWTOs a week. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: New viral process: CSDATA32.EXE jams network traffic
      ... Glad to hear that you have the LAN cleaned. ... | The Trend Sysclean package found SIRCAM on our server (apparently protected ... | 'Sysclean' failed to reveal the registry entries or executibles of the ... Having disconnected all machines from the network, ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)