Re: Need information about SSH and OpenSSH

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_verizon.net)
Date: 09/13/03

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:00:13 GMT

Tayfun Özdemir wrote:

> Hello there,
> I am about to buy a dedicated server but I have never had a one (I have
> done everything locally since now). They main problem is one of my friends
> told me that I have to use OpenSSH rather then telnet because its more
> secure.
>
> I have never used ssh before. I dont know how it works and how can I
> connect to shhd. I have searched net a bit but I still have some
> questions.
>
> How can I connect to sshd, is there a any program or telnet still works
> with it.

SSH is a protocol that *replaces* telnet and rsh. The OpenSSH and other
server versions of SSH come with clients automatically, usually called
"ssh". Read the manual page to learn more about it.

> What can i do with it that telnet cant do? Those are my questions they

SSH encrypts the connection, can authenticate the users with a personal
key to avoid having to type passwords every time, can directly do file
copies with the "scp" command, and can authenticate the host you connect
to and from to prevent people from trying to fake out your machines with
their own replacement machines, and can support "rsync" use over a
safely encrypted channel as well.

Hit the web pages at www.openssh.org, they'll explain more.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Commentary on the seven words
    ... When I was an operating systems programmer we all too often forgot that the Operating system existed to support the application, not the other way around. ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... I administrate one system that has 128 clients on it and it's ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Commentary on the seven words
    ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't ... support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... General Red Hat Linux discussion list ... >operating system and utility advice and assistance and there are SEVEN ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: I do not get ssh. Why is it more secure?
    ... How is this any more secure that plain old telnet? ... And, well, I just don't get the advantage of ssh ... If you put your ssh server on port 12345, it will be free from attacks. ... SSH connections, in the hands of someone who actually knows what they are doing, have the benefit of treating a remote machine as a remote machine. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: I do not get ssh. Why is it more secure?
    ... I ask this because I will be needing to open SSH ... eavesdropped or modified under way (unlike telnet). ... Its only mire secure if you think your link can and will be ... When you have a connection that you want to make permanent, setting up a vpn is a good solution. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Commentary on the seven words
    ... routinely asked to help with enabling rsh and telnet. ... Shoot, I use SSH & all that, but if I wanted to allow it for some ... > I wrote in with a complaint that Linux will allow a process (like Tar, ... I administrate one system that has 128 clients ...
    (RedHat)