Re: Connection Problem - Debian to Freebsd

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_dodgy.net.au)
Date: 08/27/03

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:25:18 GMT

In article <3f4c9b7a$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>,
Martin <marty@supine.com> wrote:
>$author = "Darren Tucker <dtucker@dodgy.net.au>" ;
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=102413585608801
>
>i am behind ADSL with MTU on the ppp interface of 1492 and MTU of 1500 on
>all ethernet interfaces. changing them does nothing except cause my adsl
>link to become unstable (keeps dropping and re-authenticating).

Now it really sounds like that's it. You changed the MTU of the machine
behind the ADSL, not the ADSL itself? I can't see how that would cause
the ADSL itself to be unstable.

>note: i can ssh from my mac, so i don't think it's an MTU problem, unless
>mac's use a smaller MTU.

I don't know Macs, but you said you're using password authentication and
that generally produces smaller packets during authentication.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ssh problems with ADSL router Zyxel Prestige
    ... >from my workplace but doesn't work when I am at home trough an ADSL ... Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au) ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Weird Internet routing / mtu setting / browser / packet fragmentation problem
    ... I've got a typical adsl setup with my internal ... resetting the mtu on outgoing syn packets. ... locally when packet size is large), or dont (do not set DF ... set do not fragment and start at 1400 for the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: refresh ad
    ... >> the cisco adsl router did was to alter the mtu on it to improve ... i guess its a call into the adsl provider in the morning and get ... >> their take on mtu settings for their network considering the adsl ...
  • SUMMARY: SSH2 over PPPoE on Sol 2.7
    ... Ben with a Linksys router between the Sun and the ADSL modem, ... Henri by adjusting the MTU down to that suggested by their ISP. ... After applying greater pressure to the Telco who installed the ADSL ... line and modem I was told they effectively lower the priority of SSH ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: refresh ad
    ... > To avoid fragmentation Cisco VPN Client will reduce the MTU to 1300 on all ... cisco adsl router did was to alter the mtu on it to improve performance ...