Re: File tranfer size maximum

From: Rune Baggetun (rune.baggetun_at_intermedia.uib.no)
Date: 08/08/03

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:24:25 +0200

Darren Tucker wrote:
> In article <bgtj14$18vh$1@toralf.uib.no>,
> Rune Baggetun <rune.baggetun@intermedia.uib.no> wrote:
>
>>I am using openssh and have problems tranfering 'large' files to the
>>server with openssh.
>>
>>For example a file around 500Mb aborts half the way through the tranfer.
>

> Check your account limits (run ulimit -a and look for "file size").
>
> Scp should be able to handle files up to 2GB if compiled without large
> file support, and *really* big ones with it.

It works now, but I have still problem with Mandrake backup that aborts
when using ssh (scp), which works fine when using ftp.

I ahve also messed around with trying to scrip a backup routine. This is
my ftp script that did my previous backup routine. How can I translate
this to scp. Any ideas or pointers ?

#!/bin/sh

echo "Starting backup job of /home/peter"

tar -cvf - --exclude "/home/peter/backup" /home/* | gzip -9c >
/home/peter/backup/peter_Backup.tar.gzip

ftp -n << _FINISH
open server.uib.no
user peter password
cd backup
dir
put /home/rune/backup/peter_Backup.tar.gzip
bye
_FINISH

Regards
Rune B