Details of pageant needed

From: TTN (pikku.kettu_at_sunpoint.net)
Date: 07/31/03

Date: 31 Jul 2003 06:37:57 -0700

Hello all.

I've been trying to find information about pageant's communication
functionality, but with no luck so far: thus I'm asking you.

I've got all putty thingys (the 0.53b release) in place; my keys
(ssh1, generated with puttygen) are good; my putty saved session seems
to be in order. When I try to connect, the following happens (here are
only the relevent lines, I shall put the full communication at the end
of this message):

Successfully started encryption
Sent username "xyz"
Pageant is running. Requesting keys.
Trying public key authentication.
Trying public key "C:\WINNT.0\Profiles\myprofile\mykeyfile.PPK"
Passphrase for key "my key comment":
Remote dRSA authentication accepted.
Authentication successful

Now, the part "Pageant is running" takes like two minutes; pageant is
busy, putty is busy, then finally putty seems to give up and tries
authentication itself. So pageant is running and everything seems to
be in order (my key is loaded there and no visible error messages
anywhere), but it does not give the key to other putty components. If
it would work, it would say something like this (copied from my
workmate's communication):

Sent username "xyz"
Pageant is running. Requesting keys.
Pageant has 1 SSH1 keys
Trying Pageant key #0

- and there would be no need to type my passphrase. I suppose
putty/pageant would tell me, if there was no keys, or if my keys were
bad or something. It looks like my putty does find the pageant, it
just doesn't get the keys from it.

I haven't found any information about how pageant and other putty
thingys communicate. Can this be a matter of another program using
some port pageant wants to use, or what? Why does it not give away the
key, and why doesn't any kind of error occure? My workmates have the
identical putty-setup in their computers, and it works just fine. How
can I find out what's wrong?

Thank you in advance,

TTN

-----------------------
Here's the full description of the communication:

Looking up host "my.server.domain"
Connecting to xx.xx.xx.xx port 22
Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.4p1
We claim version: SSH-1.5-PuTTY-Release-0.53b
Using SSH protocol version 1
Received public keys
Host key fingerprint is:
      1024 1c:0e:a2:5b:a5:1f:2a:dc:52:96:4c:51:2b:57:94:9a
Encrypted session key
AES not supported in SSH1, skipping
Using Blowfish encryption
Trying to enable encryption...
Successfully started encryption
Sent username "xyz"
Pageant is running. Requesting keys.
Trying public key authentication.
Trying public key "C:\WINNT.0\Profiles\myprofile\mykeyfile.PPK"
Passphrase for key "my key comment":
Remote dRSA authentication accepted.
Authentication successful
Requesting agent forwarding
Agent forwarding enabled
Allocated pty
Started compression
Started session

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WinCVS through Putty and SSH problem (newbie)
    ... Here's how I have set up to use WinCVS and Putty (and pageant and ... Here's one download page for Putty: ... Add the private key you made (the one with the ... Then in WinCVS, in admin->preferences, make sure you put ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: PuTTY SSH w/o a Password
    ... On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 16:48, L. Christopher Luther wrote: ... > password-less private key file. ... I have no trouble using PuTTY to connect to ... > or entity named on this communication. ...
    (RedHat)
  • putty + ssh.com + pageant still prompt password
    ... I am using putty + pageant to connect to ssh.com sshd2. ... to avoid typing password everytime. ... Putty development snapshot 2002-03-04 on Windows 2000 SP2 ... On the client I have setup a DSA private key in pageant and copied the ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • PuTTY 0.62 is released
    ... PuTTY version 0.62 is released ... All the pre-built binaries, and the source code, are now available ... method of talking to Pageant. ... PuTTY 0.61 could display VT100 line-drawing characters at the wrong ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Tramp on Windows (was: Re: Beyond CL?)
    ... do you know how to get Tramp working ... PuTTY makes life on win32 slightly bearable. ... Run Pageant when your machine boots to ... store your private key and you won't have to type a ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)