Can a symbolic link affect SSH?

From: Alan (alanwhite_nospam_at_streethreds.com)
Date: 06/24/03

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:14:29 +0100

Hi

I have just installed some 3rd part software on our server but I had some
problems getting it running. It turned out the software was looking for an
old version of a library on our server so someone on their support team said
to use a symbolic link to point to the newer library. Since doing so I can
no longer SSH to our server (connection window just closes) nor can I access
our webmin control panel but the funny thing is it is still server web space
that I set up.

I am running Redhat 7.1
The problematic library is this : libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
The symbolic link is as follows:-
ln -s libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

Any advice as to how this might conflict with SSH configuration would be
appreciated or if indeed it could affect SSH. As far as I can tell the only
thing on our server looking for this old library is the software that I
installed.

TIA

Alan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trouble with X11 over SSH on Mandriva 2010.0
    ... If next clean install/update causes ssh to break, ... installed the sshd daemon/service package (OpenSSH Server) on the server. ... correct values for client and server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)
    ... this was one "result" of the comromised ssh binary at sourceforge. ... a public server of the Apache Software Foundation ... > (ASF) was illegally accessed by unknown crackers. ... > exhaustive audit of all Apache source code and binary distributions ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: FreeBSD Crash without Errors, Warnings, or Panics
    ... I suppose I could run on stable until the driver is fixed in a release branch, but I need this box up and online, and I've always read that the stable branch is not the place for production servers. ... I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p5 on a Toshiba built server: dual Xeon Intel motherboard with a LSILogic MegaRAID controller. ... Also, some network ports still respond, like a telnet to port 22 to test SSH will yield an SSH banner, but trying to connect with SSH just hangs. ... The box runs a web-based app and connects to a local Postgres DB which seemed to be unable to start new connections being requested by the PHP scripts. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: restrict ssh access
    ... > We have one ssh server which receives about 6000 failed attempts to ... > unsuccessful login attempts per client IP address? ... the remote server is also running OpenSSH. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH as root
    ... Subject: SSH as root ... but it doesn't require having a key on the server that could be ... If they compromise a server, and the passphrase, etc. is there, they only ... private key to anyone. ...
    (SSH)