SSH and user environment

From: Chandrashekar Tippur (ctippur_at_msn.com)
Date: 06/20/03

Date: 20 Jun 2003 10:34:54 -0700

All,

I have a question about ssh2 (SSH Communications Security). We
downloaded a evaluation version of commercial ssh.
On the remote node's login, we added to user's $HOME/.ssh2/environment
file couple of variables
1. MYHOME=/opt/hereiam
2. PATH=$PATH:/opt/hereitis
When I login to the remote node using ssh2, I can see that the file
$HOME/.ssh2/environment is being touched but I don't have MYHOME in
the environment but I have the new PATH in the environment.
I read the man pages and it says that we need to add it to either
/etc/environment ot USER's $HOME/.ssh2/environment file.

Here is what man pages say
"Additionally, ssh2 reads /etc/environment and
     $HOME/.ssh2/environment, and adds lines of the format
     VARNAME=value to the environment. Some systems may have
     still additional mechanisms for setting up the environment,
     such as /etc/default/login on Solaris."
I am not sure what I need to do to get user defined variables in
environment file.

thanks and looking forward to the answers

Shekar

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ssh2
    ... I am using a terminalemulator Anita to login to a server, ... ssh connection with 3DES Cipher. ... Now this server is hacked, somebody entered with the root user. ... I see the directory .ssh2 in the /root directory, but not in any $HOME dir ...
    (Fedora)
  • ssh2
    ... I am using a terminalemulator Anita to login to a server, who validates the ssh connection with 3DES Cipher. ... I see the directory .ssh2 in the /root directory, but not in any $HOME dir ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ssh2
    ... I am using a terminalemulator Anita to login to a server, ... ssh connection with 3DES Cipher. ... Now this server is hacked, somebody entered with the root user. ... I see the directory .ssh2 in the /root directory, but not in any $HOME dir ...
    (Fedora)
  • Programming Client applicatoin with SSH2
    ... I'm working on building an application that requires the use of SSH2 to ... login to a remote server and execute preset commands based on user ...