Re: SSH intermittently drops connections when using over dsl

From: G. Wolfe Woodbury (ggw__at_no_spam.wolves.durham.nc.us)
Date: 06/04/03

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:05:56 GMT

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <kosowsky@consult.pretender> shaped electrons to say:

> Even when I can't ssh in, I can still ping my machine successfully,
> send/receive email, and even access the web server on it. Only SSH
> seems to drop or become blocked. The ping time and the web page
>
> The only explanation seems to be that there is a problem with my
> verizon dsl connection. What would cause the SSH connection to be
> dropped or temporarily blocked?
>
> Could this have anything to do with the fact that I am running SSH on
> port 443?
>
> Any other suggestions?

COuld it be that your IP has changed due to a PPPoE drop/renew of the
connection? The sshd on your server might not be picking up the change
in IP and refusing the connect.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U

Relevant Pages

  • mpd, ng, Cisco VPN, resource leak
    ... on a FreeBSD 4.4 client site and a Cisco VPN server on the peer end. ... With 5.0 and 5.1-current the network connection stopped working. ... Trying to reconnect with a new ssh session got some message ... about 'resource deadlock avoided' and a subsequent ping to the peer side ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: ssh delays 40 seconds
    ... >>the connection is made immediately. ... I can ping that box "it's called gateway" with ping ... If I ssh from there to any box it takes 40 seconds for that next box to ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • weird routing problem
    ... running XP and ssh to behemoth from there, ... Once I am logged into Behemoth, I can't ping anything on the outside. ... pass log inet proto tcp from any port 3150 to 192.168.2.10 keep state # fluxd-inet ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Howto make Firewalld allow remote SSH into a Virtual Machine?
    ... another box on my local LAN like my laptop. ... Set the firewall zone of my Ethernet interface to Trusted: ... Can not ping VM from laptop: ... Can not ssh from the laptop to the VM: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Howto make Firewalld allow remote SSH into a Virtual Machine?
    ... Can not ping VM from laptop: ... Can not ssh from the laptop to the VM: ... So how do I make firewalld allow pings and ssh from remote hosts? ... Yes, I found that when I was first using firewalld, I kept looking for a button or menu item like "install my changes." ...
    (Fedora)