Re: difference between SSL, SSH and VPN

From: Joss (joss_at_pleasereplytogroup.com)
Date: 05/19/03

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:23:27 +0000 (UTC)

so, why would you use SSH over VPN, or vice versa?

Jo
"Eric Hanchrow" <offby1@blarg.net> wrote in message

> Per> SSH doesn't use SSL at all.
>
> You're right; what I was thinking was "OpenSSH links with the OpenSSL
> library". But I guess it does so only to get low-level crypto stuff
> that isn't directly related to SSL (but is presumably also used by
> OpenSSL).
>
> --
> Open-source software has fewer bugs because it admits the possibility of
bugs.
> -- Paul Graham

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RE: Telnet/SSL v SSH
    ... Neither the SSL or the SSH ... SSH was made to be a secure remote terminal protocol, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: RE: Telnet/SSL v SSH
    ... SSH is a secure login and shell ... SSH and SSL are apples and oranges. ... include secure use of networked applications, remote system administration, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Cable for transfer of data?
    ... SSL /should/ mean. ... SSH has an SSH encryption similar to SSL. ... SSH does tunneling and encryption. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: SSH in SSL Tunnel auffinden
    ... SSH in SSL zu tunneln. ... SSL ist bei uns erlaubt, ... Die Andere Methode waere z.B. mittels s_tunnel einen SSL-Tunnel ... zwischen zwei solchen SSL-Tunnelprogrammen zu bauen, ueber den dann ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: SSH tunneling/port forwarding and stateful packet inspection
    ... > have reconfigured SSH to run over port 443 the trace shows it as SSL ... Your packet trace identifies the TCP connection as ...
    (comp.security.ssh)